Serenity, Tranquility, and Peace of Mind

People seem to assume that it is impossible to be an entrepreneur without having a mobile phone. I am determined to refute this. I love challenges. Unless, of course, I succumb to the cult of the iPhone.

I can remember times when having a mobile phone was considered being weird. Now the opposite is true, and I am eyed suspiciously when I cheerfully declare that I have none.

Well, the German Federal Office for Statistics has published a consumer report, precisely a report on what consumer goods German households possess. It is long and tiresome, filled to the brink with numbers (and no charts, which is bad; but that also means no pie charts, which is good). The short summary is here: EVS 2008: Ausstattung mit Gebrauchsgütern. Two numbers are especially striking: 86.3% of all households own at least one mobile phone. Which means I belong to the remaining 13.7%. Should qualify me as elite, shouldn’t it? But there is more (not in the summary, but in the full report): a mind-boggling 94.1% of all households own at least one television set! In case you haven’t guessed, I belong to the remaining 5.9%. And people wonder why pupils don’t cope with orthography or arithmetic anymore, why attention deficit disorder, youth violence, and adult anxiety and stress disorders are on the rise? I blame it all on TV.

People, seriously: If you want serenity, tranquility, and peace of mind, throw away your television set and switch off your mobile phones. Enjoy the silence!

About Daniel Tiggemann

Software-developer living in Cologne, Germany. Was once a physicist, specialized in computer simulations and parallel programming. Now more into JavaScript, web frontend development, and especially mobile computing.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

803 Responses to Serenity, Tranquility, and Peace of Mind

  1. Pingback: buy cialis

  2. Pingback: cialis online

  3. Pingback: cialis